What should I do in the event of a collision?

Stay Calm Make sure no one is injured. If there are injuries, call for emergency assistance immediately Report the Accident Immediately A police report will assist in filing and accident claim with your insurance company. Make a Sketch of the Accident Site A sketch of the site showing the position of all vehicles and people involved will help when reporting details of the accident. Use your cell phone or digital camera to take photos which are a great help when trying to explain the circumstances of the accident. Exchange Information Get appropriate information (name, address, phone, insurance etc.) from all parties involved – including witnesses. Don't Sign a Tow Authorization Your vehicle may be covered for Roadside Assistance (see explanation page 1, Your Rights as a Toyota owner) in either case, an authorized tow can be arranged. Simply call 1‑888‑TOYOTA8 (1‑888‑869‑6828). For additional information on Roadside Assistance click here. Know Your Rights Contact your insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. Your insurance company may wish to direct you to a body shop they use to obtain a repair estimate. You do not have to accept this facility to repair your vehicle. Make sure your insurance company knows that you expect the repair to be carried out using Genuine Toyota Collision Parts. Make sure your insurance company knows that you expect your Toyota to be restored to its pre-accident condition at a Toyota Certified Collision Centre.

Do I need to report the collision to the police?

Collisions must be reported to police only under any of the following circumstances: If the collision results in injury or death. If it's a hit and run. If a driver is impaired by drugs or alcohol. If any of the vehicles involved have to be towed from the scene. If the collision involves a vehicle that does not have a valid licence plate or is an out-of-province vehicle. In addition, loss or damage to your vehicle caused by vandalism, malicious damage, theft or attempted theft must also be reported to police. If none of the above apply, the collision needs only to be reported to SGI.

How do I start the process of making an insurance claim?

Contact SGI as soon as possible. You can file a claim through SGI's eClaim service, through calling the Claims Centre (1 800 667-9324) or by visiting their Claim Centre at 501 - 15th St. E. When you make a claim for damage to your vehicle, you'll receive an appointment to have the damage assessed by an SGI appraiser. You'll need this estimate in order for us to start work on your vehicle. Then bring your claim in to our body shop and we can start the repair process!

What should I do if my vehicle is too damaged to be driven?

If your vehicle can't be driven your first challenge is what to do with your vehicle. Fortunately, if your Toyota is within the 3 yr. 60,000 km. basic warranty or you have purchased Roadside Assistance coverage you simply call 1‑888‑TOYOTA8 (1‑888‑869‑6828) and an approved towing company will be dispatched free of charge. If you are not covered by either of these options we understand your dilemma, as a courtesy to all Toyota owners, we invite you to call the 1‑888‑TOYOTA8 number and an approved towing company will be arranged on a customer pay basis.

Do I get to choose the body shop that repairs my vehicle?

Yes. Insurance companies may suggest specific auto repair shops, however, you do have the right to choose where to have your vehicle repaired. Insist on a Toyota Certified Collision Centre to repair your vehicle to pre-accident condition!

What if my vehicle is leased?

If it is, ensuring collision repairs are made to return your vehicle to factory standards is crucial, not just from a performance and safety standpoint, but it will protect you when your lease expires. It is in your best interest to have your vehicle repaired at a Certified Collision Centre, reducing the risk of a costly surprise when your lease expires and the vehicle is returned to your dealer.

Why should I insist on a Toyota Certified Collision Centre?

Only Toyota Genuine Parts are manufactured to Toyota's high standards of safety and quality. Toyota technicians have the necessary training and the knowledge of Toyota standards and construction techniques. Your Toyota Certified Collision Centre has an intricate knowledge of Toyota standards, construction techniques and the quality of customer service that a Toyota owner expects. A Toyota Certified Collision Centre is paramount to a proper, valuable, high quality repair experience. Nobody knows your Toyota like a Toyota Certified Collision Centre. Customer Service – takes care of YOU and your vehicle Technicians – nobody is in a better position to restore your vehicle to Toyota's high quality standards. Toyota Genuine Parts - are the only parts that are manufactured to Toyota's high standards of safety & quality. That's not necessarily true of aftermarket parts used by other shops. Latest in Technology - at Prince Albert Toyota Autobody, we have the latest technology in body repair and autobody painting. We have state-of-the-art downdraft paint booths as well as computerized colour matching to get you the results you deserve.

How is it determined if my vehicle will be written off by SGI?

When SGI writes off a vehicle, the decision is based on 4 factors: the cost of repairing the vehicle the estimated salvage value of the damaged vehicle the market value of the vehicle immediately prior to the loss loss of use costs, such as a rental (if applicable) SGI uses a comprehensive database from Audatex Autosource, an independent provider of valuation services, to help determine the market value of your vehicle. Determining a vehicle's value Factors considered in the calculation of your vehicle's value include: exterior condition interior condition condition of mechanical components condition of tires after market equipment options mileage Your adjuster reviews the value received from Autosource to ensure it is appropriate and then contacts you with the offer of settlement and will provide you with a copy of the Autosource valuation package for your information so you can see how the vehicle was valued, including examples of similar vehicles that have been offered for sale. For more information on vehicle assessment, visit SGI's website.

I disagree with the appraisal of my vehicle by the SGI adjuster. Is there anything I can do?

A difference of opinion as to the nature or extent of repairs should be brought to the attention of your adjuster and the following steps should be taken: If the disagreement can't be resolved with your adjuster, ask to have the manager of the SGI Claims Centre or the manager of appraisals review the appraisal. If you still have concerns, take the vehicle to a repair shop of your choice for their opinion. They will discuss the repair procedures with you, and if this does not resolve the problem, the repairer will contact the manager of appraisals. If your concern is still unresolved, you have the option to try and resolve it through binding arbitration. Two appraisers - one appointed by you and the other by SGI - will choose a mutually acceptable umpire and the 3 individuals will render a decision. You can represent yourself in the arbitration process. Each party is responsible for their own costs, as well as half of the cost of the umpire. The decision reached is binding on both you and SGI.

How much will my insurance deductible cost?

All claims under your basic plate insurance are subject to a $700 deductible, however, it may be lower if you have purchased a Package Policy from an insurance provider. If you are responsible for paying a deductible amount, it will appear on the appraisal sheet given to you by your adjuster. SGI also offers a deductible payment plan. Contact SGI for more information. Whether or not you pay your deductible depends on: who is responsible for the collision whether there is damage to your vehicle When you're responsible You must pay the deductible on the repairs to your own vehicle. If your vehicle doesn't need repairs, you don't pay your deductible. Your licence plate insurance will cover repairs to the other driver's vehicle or property and any medical expenses resulting from their injuries. When you're not responsible Your deductible will be covered by the other driver's insurance. Their insurance will also cover repairs to your vehicle and property as well as your medical expenses resulting from injuries. Some exceptions may apply. When both drivers are equally responsible You pay only half of your deductible to get your vehicle fixed. However, if the other driver is uninsured or is from outside Saskatchewan, you'll be responsible for your entire deductible. Single vehicle incidents You'll be responsible to pay your deductible when there's no other party to collect it from, for example in losses resulting from: theft hit and run storm damage vandalism fire collision with an animal single-vehicle collision

How long do I have to get my vehicle repaired under an insurance claim?

Once an appraiser has inspected your damaged vehicle and you've received an appraisal sheet outlining the cost of repairs, you can have your vehicle repaired, subject to the terms of your insurance. Repairs must be completed within 2 years from the date of loss. However, it's a good idea to complete repairs as soon as possible to avoid any deterioration or further damage to your vehicle. Some types of damage may affect the safe operation of your vehicle - such as damage to the headlights, tail lights, tires, wheels and so on - and should be repaired immediately.

Contact Us